Saturday, March 5, 2011

It only took me a whole month...

I have had this book from NetGalley since before it was released, but did not have the proper software at the time to actually read it. Then it came in a couple weeks ago in the February order... and then finally I had the correct software to read it. I need a Nook. Now. Please?

Anyway... To make a short story shorter, I finally finished Delirium.

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


I loved the story in Delirium. I am a huge fan of Dystopian stories. I like that Lauren Oliver took the time to fully explain the world in which Lena lived. A lot was explained with excerpts from their rule books. Some days I would think the story was moving too slow, and maybe that's why it took me so long to read. But at the end of the book, I was truly satisfied and immersed into Lena's world where Love is a scary.
"Love, the deadliest of all things: It kills you both when you have it, and when you do not... the condemner and the condemned. The executioner; the blade; the last minute reprieve; the gasping breath and the rolling sky above you and the thank you, thank you, thank you, God. Love: It will kill you and save you, both"
I also thought this book was a great introduction to the series as a whole. The story took place over a span of about 3 months... and the last few chapters happened in a matter of days. The pace seriously picked up at the end of the book, I am not going to say that it needed to... but it felt right, it got me waiting impatiently for the next installment of Lena's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment