Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Links and Miscellaneous Things I Like

Best quote ever:
"Picking on libraries is like picking on premature babies: what sort of person would actually do it?"- Anthony Doerr in his article Learning to Read on Zero Dollars a Day
This is what they have been saying for YEARS! Where is this magical place that there is a growth in the library field?
"Figures compiled in the United States Department of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition state the potential for future employment in the library sciences is above average, due in part to a large body of current librarians nearing retirement age and to the ongoing modernization of libraries overall." Occupation Outlook Handbook 
Ashford University will be providing a BA program for Library Science... where was this when I was an Undergraduate? It doesn't provide the professional certificate... but still. To be able to take more classes would have been a great opportunity. I felt like I had to put 1.5 billion interests into this small 36 credit bubble. Read the full article here: Ashford University Introduces Bachelor's Degree in Library Science and Media.

Since I am in this boat also, I have really appreciated these articles:
Summer Reading is Killing Me
I have read others, I just can't for the life of me remember where they were!

I have also recently found, on suggestion from boss lady and then by happenstance: Miss Mollie's Storytime Fun. It's amazing what you can do with felt. Librarians never cease to amaze me. Miss Mollie has an amazing blogroll that I have begun reading as well. I love the story time ideas! I'll need them soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment