Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Books I've Read-May Edition



Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.

I received an ARC of this book months ago and finally had the time to sit and read it. I took it camping with me and read it in about 3 hours. I used my head lamp by the end of it because it was just getting too dark and I had to know how the story unfolded. 

Things I liked:
For the most part I liked London. She was a little girlier than the characters that I'm used to. Like she kept mentioning the word boyfriend over and over again instead of just saying his name. I enjoyed her relationship with Luke I found myself smiling at their first date, or when he apologizes. I liked the plot... Memory is a complex thing, I think that Cat Patrick did a great job exploring the ramifications of not remembering your own past. 

Things I didn't like:
I didn't like, or maybe, just didn't appreciate her relationship with her mother. I thought they were a little distant, and realistically it seemed like London would have needed her more therefore creating a stronger relationship.... Does that make sense?


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

I only liked one thing about this book, the ending. I like that they let us know what happened years later with Katniss.

Everything else: I didn't like.  All of a sudden, it was a change in genres. It wasn't just dystopian, it was action-political.  I couldn't even read it, I found myself skimming the pages and only reading the narration. Eh. Very disappointing for the finale of this disturbing series.

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future–and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

I love Adam. I love that this story was told from his point of view. He is just pretty damn dreamy. Even more so than in the first novel. 

It was nice to see the characters grow up a bit. I mean, they're growth was still stunted completely by her accident, the loss of family, the loss of each other, but they handled each other so differently in this novel. They no longer took each other for granted. I found this novel to be more of the emotional roller coaster than the first, maybe because it was about love.

I have a hard time reviewing novels that I love. I am realizing this more and more. 


WOW! FIVE BOOKS!!!
I'm pretty proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment