Tuesday, December 21, 2010

YA (in) Revolt

Revolt
verb (used without object)
  1. to break away from or rise against constituted authority, as by open rebellion; cast off allegiance or subjection to those in authority.
  2. to rebel in feeling
If you ask some, the teenage years are all about rebelling and revolting. I didn't, but can see why everyone does. I chose to revolt in my 20's for some reason. My growth was stunted, too much priorities and  education ruined it. I say this with a huge grin on my face, it's my joke. 

Some wish they could go back and relive the teen years, I wouldn't if you paid me a million dollars. But, I would go back just to understand what happened between my generation and the one after me. They all look so old. Act so old. And they're loud! This is a new world to me. 

As is the new Library world I am in. It's been a week. Coming from the Toy Library, the chaos/loudness factor is nothing. It has been a good first week. We're getting used to each other, this Library and I.
  • By Friday last week two teens actually spoke to me.
  • I have met the majority of the clerks and pages and can safely say I know their names.
  • I have already rearranged part of the collection and have plans for more.
  • I have started a wishlist for my first order of materials. (My favorite part.)
I do have to admit, I feel like an anthropologist in my new setting. I am trying to see how things work so I don't interfere or seem domineering. I feel like the narrator from the March of the Librarians video a few years back... "And this is a hipster librarian...." I have the title upgrade and no idea how to dress, how to act, if there are changes, or if I have to change. Hmmm... Thoughts to ponder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment